Most people who die by suicide are not in contact with mental health services – they are right here in our community.
We developed our 3-hour Real Talk Webinar with real people in the community to help them talk openly and honestly about what is one of the most taboo subjects in the world today.
In fact, talking about suicide is the best way we know to prevent suicide.
We know this is something that people find hard to talk about. So Real Talk offers an opportunity for people to gain the skills and confidence in talking about suicide and to start feeling comfortable with the language and the feelings that come up.
This takes courage – courage that we all have. Real Talk makes it easier for you to help start conversations. Conversations that could quite literally make the difference between life and death.
Some things we cover:
- Should we talk about suicide?
- Some common myths about suicide, how they affect us and how they affect our community
- How you can start conversations about suicide
- Practical resources to support ourselves and people we care about
- To understand how suicide can affect anyone – and that anyone can help prevent it.
- To name the fears that stop us talking – and how we can break them down.
- To increase confidence to talk openly and directly about suicide.
- To understand the limits of our role and learn about local/national resources