Grassroots Suicide Prevention, a registered charity and registered company (We, Us, or Our) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
Scope of Policy
This policy as set out at https://www.prevent-suicide.org.uk/stay-alive-app-privacy-policy/ applies to your use of:
This policy sets out the basis on which any personal data We collect from you, or that you provide to Us, will be processed by Us. Please read the following carefully to understand Our views and practices regarding your personal data and how We will treat it.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 2018 (the Act), the data controller’s are Grassroots Suicide Prevention and Switchplane.
User Input and Sensitivity
The app allows the user to input some mildly sensitive information, which is detailed below. No other data is collected. To be 100% clear, the app does not collect the end user’s name, email address, passwords for any service, banking information, etc. The only information that is collected is detailed below.
- The name of the person to talk to when feeling suicidal. The name of the person to seek help from.
- How the user can keep themselves calm.
- The name of a safe place.
- Ideas for staying safe.
Reasons for Living
- The user may select (boolean checkbox) from a set of reasons that are shipped with the app. The user may enter their own reasons.
- A minimal photo gallery that allows the user to import images from their device, or take new ones with their camera.
- A list of contacts (their name) that the user has selected specifically for contacting in an emergency. The actual contact data is stored by the underlying operating system’s “Contacts” app.
The user can enter:
- Things that make them feel well.
- The names of people (e.g. celebrities or sports people) that inspire them. Things to try to support their wellness (e.g. breathing exercises).
- The app ships with built in resources (e.g. contact details for Samaritans). The user can add their own resources if they do not ship with the app. The user can enter the following data about the resource: Name, Description, Phone Number, SMS Number, Email Address, Web Address.
Communications with us.
If you communicate with us, we collect the information and content you provide to us, including personally identifying information such as your name, email or other contact information. You can provide anonymous feedback by using an email account that does not reveal your identity.
The app makes use of Google Firebase Analytics to collect anonymous usage data. No personally identifiable information is collected. We are fully compliant with international data management standards and do not send any data outside to the European Economic Area (EEA).
Data Storage and Transfer
- The app stores data on the device it is entered into, it does not transmit user data anywhere (with exception of Google Firebase Analytics data, which is transmitted securely using Transport Layer Security (TLS) to that service).
- Data stored on the device is secured by the device/os.
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
We will at all times comply with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2018, including ensuring that there are appropriate technological and operational procedures in place to protect your and other users’ information.
Transport Layer Security (TLS)
We work to protect the security of your information during transmission by using Transport Layer Security (TLS) software, which encrypts transmitted to Google Firebase Analytics.
Before downloading Stay Alive we advise users to set up basic password management on their devices. Examples of basic password management are: a screen lock or passcode. There are no minimum requirements for the password.
Setting a device passcode or password protects the data on your device by locking the device. When a device is locked, users must enter a password to unlock it. This feature helps prevent unauthorised access to the device, to keep your device secure and protects your personal information if the device is ever lost or stolen.
Third-party advertisers and links to other websites
Stay Alive app includes third-party advertising and links to other websites. We do not provide any personally identifiable customer information to these advertisers or third-party websites.
Please be aware that we are not responsible for the privacy practices or content of such other websites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site and to read the privacy statements of each and every web site that collects personally identifiable information. This privacy statement applies solely to information that we collect on this Service.
All guidance and information within the app are reviewed and updated every 6 months to check all resources are updated and links are in working order.
We do not use GPS technology to determine your current location.
Our Services are not directed towards and may not be used by persons under 17.
time. We will notify you of any alterations with reasonable notice
through the service, such as by posting it on our website, by email, or
stop using our Services.
You have various rights in respect of the personal information we hold about you – these are set out in more detail below. If you wish to exercise any of these rights or make a complaint, you can do so by contacting our staff team. You can contact us in the following ways:
- You can email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Write to at Grassroots Suicide Prevention, 11 Old Steine, Brighton, BN1 1EJ
- Call us on 01273 675764
We aim to respond with seven days of receiving your email or contact by post.