The purpose of this policy is to provide you, as a user of our app Stay Alive, with information about:
1) The type of data we collect
2) What we do with your data.
Grassroots Suicide Prevention is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
Grassroots Suicide Prevention is a registered charity (number 1149873) and a company limited by guarantee (5687263). Our registered address is: 11 Old Steine, Brighton, United Kingdom, BN1 1EJ. Our Data Protection Officer is: Alex Harvey – firstname.lastname@example.org
The Stay Alive App has two Data Controllers:
- Grassroots Suicide Prevention
- Switchplane: Switchplane is a private limited company (04840582), registered address: Unit 4 Martello House, Highfield Office Park, 1a Edward Road, Eastbourne, United Kingdom, BN23 8AS
Scope of Policy
This policy sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
This policy as set out at https://www.stayalive.app/privacy/ applies to your use of:
The information we collect
If you are using our app you will have the opportunity to provide information which relates to your situation, and techniques and practices which may support you in a crisis or to support someone else. We recognise that this information may be sensitive to you, we commit to protecting this data in order to protect you.
The app allows the user to input some sensitive information. The only information that is collected is detailed below. We collect this information so that you can use the app to support your mental health.
The following information is collected within the app:
|Safety Plan||The name of the person to talk to when feeling suicidal or in crisis. The name of the person or service to seek help from when feeling suicidal or in crisis. How you will calm yourself when feeling suicidal or in crisis. The name of a safe place you will go to when feeling suicidal or in crisis. Ideas for staying safe when feeling suicidal or in crisis.|
|Reasons for Living||The user may select from a set of research based reasons that are shipped with the app. The user may enter their own reasons.|
|LifeBox||Photos, videos, audio files, and other miscellaneous documents can be stored in the LifeBox gallery. These can be imported from the device, or new photos and videos can be taken with the device’s camera.|
|My Contacts||A list of contacts (their name, phone number, or other relevant details) that the user has selected specifically for contacting in an emergency. The actual contact data is stored by the underlying operating system’s “Contacts” app.|
|Wellness Plan||The user can enter: Things that support their wellbeing (e.g. exercise, meditation) The names of people (e.g. friends, family) that inspire them. Things they would like to try to support their wellness (e.g. breathing exercises).|
|Custom Resources||The app ships with built in resources (e.g. contact details for Samaritans). The user can add their own resources if they do not ship with the app. The user can enter the following data about the resource: Name, Description, Phone Number, SMS Number, Email Address, Web Address.|
|Login Details||In order to sync the phone app and the web app users can choose to create a login, or use their existing Google or Facebook login information. The following information is collected when creating, or using an existing login: Name Email Address Stay Alive Password (this is NOT your Google or Facebook password)|
The app uses Google Firebase Analytics to collect anonymous usage data such as which app pages are being viewed, and the length of page views. No personally identifiable information is collected. We are fully compliant with international data management standards and do not send any data outside to the European Economic Area (EEA).
Data Storage and Transfer
- The app stores data on the device it is entered into – e.g. your phone.
- If the user has an account, the data stored on their device is synchronised to the web app. Data is encrypted, and transferred and stored securely.
- Anonymous usage data is transmitted to Google Firebase Analytics data, which is transmitted securely using Transport Layer Security (TLS) to that service).
- Data stored on the device is secured by the device/operating system. Please keep your device up-to-date and regularly check for software updates.
Before downloading Stay Alive we advise users to set up basic password management on their devices. Examples of basic password management are: a screen lock or passcode.
For users of Apple devices you can learn more about protecting your device with a passcode here.
For users of Android users you can learn more about setting a screen lock here.
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
We will at all times comply with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2018, including ensuring that there are appropriate technological and operational procedures in place to protect your information and that of other users.
Third-party advertisers and links to other websites
The Stay Alive app includes links to third-party websites. We do not provide any personally identifiable user information to these third-party websites.
Please be aware that we are not responsible for the privacy practices or content of such other websites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site and to read the privacy statements of each and every web site that collects personally identifiable information. This privacy statement applies solely to information that we collect on this Service.
All guidance and information within the app are reviewed and updated every 6-months to check all resources are updated and links are in working order.
We do not use GPS technology to determine your current location.
Our Services are not directed towards and may not be used by persons under 12.
If you need more details
You can find out more about the personal information we hold about you and request us to delete it at any point. You can do this by contacting email@example.com. You can also write to Grassroots Suicide Prevention, 11 Old Steine, Brighton, BN1 1EJ.
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we store on your browser or the hard drive of your computer if you agree. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive.
We use the following cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website, use the LifeBox, or other tools.
- Analytical/performance cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
You can block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our site.
Cookies can expire at the end of a browser session or they can be stored for longer. Your browser settings can also enable you to clear cookies on exit from specified websites.